Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: BTC Installed

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Holden's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 6th, 1999
    Posts
    3,007
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    It's in. The .pdf instructions Lundgren posted were right on the money.

    On my 96 GSR, the crank position sensor wire was solid BLUE at the ECU. Not blue/green.

    Anyway, it's all zipped up now, but I didn't finish untill after everyone in my household was asleep, so I couldn't set the timing last night.

    With 8 degrees static timing and the BTC knob on the 1st click over minimum, it drives just like it always did! (No surprise, but I'll take that to mean it's installed properly).

    I'll set timing to 16 degrees at lunch and have some real comments this evening.

    ------------------
    Greg Holden
    96 GSR, JSRC @6psi, AEM CAI/RSR 4-2-1/Greddy PE, Cartech 20005/Walbro GSS-342, KYB AGX/H&R OE Sport/ST 19mm Rear Swaybar
    Best 1/4 ==> 13.937 @ 101.41mph
    My JRSC Install Site

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Holden's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 6th, 1999
    Posts
    3,007
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    It's definitely installed correctly because, as others have noted:

    1) Runs like before at 10 clicks.
    2) Large lack of power at 16 clicks.

    At 6 clicks, I don't feel a huge difference. The 0-2psi transition is smoother, but it is much easier to induce tip-in detonation.

    Before, at 8 degrees timing, it was near impossible to induce detonation. At 10 degrees, I had to really drive stupid to make it happen.

    Now at 16 degrees and 6 clicks, it is easy to do (by driving like I never drive, but it's still there).

    I will likely stay at 6 clicks until I get a J&S. For what it has done for me at 6psi boost, I don't think it's worth it. I do however, trust the opinions of some of the guys at 8, 9 and 10psi who say that things get much "lumpier" at those boost levels and that the BTC helps a lot.

    Since 10psi is in my future, I don't regret getting the BTC. I wouldn't recommend it for folks at 6psi unless they have nothing better to do to their car.

    We'll see. I've only put 20 miles on the car with the BTC.

    Greg


  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member rjaffey's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 16th, 1999
    Posts
    764
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Good call.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Holden's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 6th, 1999
    Posts
    3,007
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Rafe: The way I was easily inducing detonation was by slowly going to WOT (2 seconds from cruise to WOT) in a stupidly low gear (4th at 40mph).

    Your TPS gadget might help this. Are you ready to cough up the details?

    Greg

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member rjaffey's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 16th, 1999
    Posts
    764
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Cough, cough... Man, I got like 3 hours of sleep last night. I feel almost like a blabbering idiot at this point. The night before wasn't too much better. OK, hang on I'll pull my thoughts together.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Batoutahell's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 19th, 2000
    Posts
    356
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks, Rafe. Hey, if you get too punchy when you write up your post about your gadget, go ahead and get some shut-eye and come back to it later. Crossed wires, bad.

    ------------------
    '00ITR#739
    JRSC, JR Walbro FP, JR intake, J&S SafeGuard, JR BTC

  7. #7
    HB Forum Owner 96IntegraRS's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 2nd, 2000
    Posts
    657
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Holden,

    Running 6psi and I'm pleased with my BTC... car really was not "drivable" without it....

    My opinion: Everyone needs a BTC. Remember when it was hot this past summer? I would have killed to be able to retard my timing so I could drive with a passenger, A/C, and suitcases in the back..... so,

    Jackson made my $200 rebate back, I'm not as worried about ruining my car.

    ------------------
    96 Integra RS w/JRSC @ 6psi.
    DC DAC Intake (cut)
    DC Front+Rear Strut Bars
    DC Rear Lower Tie Bar
    DC Short Shifter
    Eneki 15" Wheels
    Toyo Proxes FZ-4
    Eibach Pro-Kit Springs
    Powerstop Rotors Front+Rear
    DC Ceramic 4-2-1 Header
    DC Stainless Exhaust
    Axxis MetalMaster Pads
    Walbro 255 Fuel Pump
    Piaa 1100 Driving Lamps
    Mugen Thermostat
    Mugen Cap
    Jackson Racing BTC

  8. #8
    Inactive Member lundgren's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 16th, 1999
    Posts
    1,436
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I do recommend the BTC, even for 6psi. At 6psi you might be at 2 clicks or so however.

    ------------------
    http://www.netbsi-kc.com/integra/
    http://www.netbsi-kc.com/aa/
    http://www.groupbuycenter.com/

  9. #9
    Inactive Member A-dub5513's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 8th, 2000
    Posts
    251
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Just installed mine last night. Man, that ECU and metal frame was a biioootch to remove and put back together. Anyway, it defintely works. Compared to everyone else I have mine set very conservatively at 1 degree retard per lb. w/ 15 TDC based on the fact that I was running at 9 degrees before. Without J&S and guages, I didn't want to take any chances. Took me awhile to figure where to have it installed. I have the controller screwed down in the glove box and unit is under seat on floor board. SUPER-CLEAN.

  10. #10
    Inactive Member Holden's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 6th, 1999
    Posts
    3,007
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Let me just add that while I was happy with drivability at 8 degrees, I never use the AC and the temperature rarely hits 90F here.

    That could account for seeing less improvement.

    I need to put more miles on the car and get a better feel for it.

    Greg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •